Monday, July 14, 2008

Fireworks at the Eiffel Tower

There are some experiences you never forget and I have already had quite a few on this trip! But one that will always stand out in my mind was tonight's visit to the Eiffel Tower. If you have been watching the flickr link for pictures, you will have noticed the great pictures of the tower last week that we took at night. Tonight (for Bastille Day) there was a huge firework display over the Seine right in front of the Eiffel Tower. Amazing.

I went by myself (since a few of my comrades wanted to head to bed early after a late night last night!) and walked across the bridge to get a good view. There were more people than I have every seen in one place and I luckily checked the map before I left and took a different metro stop than the normal Eiffel Tower stop.   While France's fireworks aren't as big and bold as the US, they might just have us beat on the scenery- between the reflection in the water and the lights on the tower, it was a spectacular show.

As I walked home along Canal St. Martin under a nearly full moon, I thought for the 1,987th time, I am SO lucky to be here.

1 comment:

dreama said...

I opened up the KC Star this morning and there was a picture of fireworks surrounding the Eiffel Towel with the title Viva La France!
Bastille Day even made news in KC!